Friday, August 10, 2007

New Delhi

Below is a photo looking out over "NEW"?? Delhi. I had to download the image unfortunately, as my digital camera is Kaput. It will not charge at all. A digital miracle would be good for me over the next few days, if you are into praying for healing for electrical devices (and why not? It takes all sorts! Don't mock it till you've tried it! (actually, I have a confession to make, I did try it, and it didn't work unfortunately, but do not let this discourage you!)

Oh Oh, our chronological order is really going to be shot to pieces, but hey, what can you do? I am now in Delhi, and we haven't finished updating you on our time in the UK. Jo is hopefully going to continue that from home, so that she can add photos from our computer. Meanwhile I'll probably be interspersing her postings with updates of my time in the north of India.


The reason that I have left my wife (!!Don't worry, only temporarily!!), is that 2 days before we left India I was asked to register with the Medical Council of India. This is something that not many foreigners do due to the beaurocracy involved. I went to the office in Delhi on Wednesday and Thursday, and my paperwork is now complete. I have been told by them that it should only take a few weeks to get my registration through, and that I should get my registration by the 25th of August. (Not to be pessimistic, but I have spoken to someone else who has already completed his registration, and he says it took 4-5 months - a year if you include the fact that they lost his first application!! I'm quite sure that it will be much quicker for me though. No, Really... ...Really)



I have been asked not to work until the registration comes through, and so rather than twiddle my thumbs, I am planning to go to Mussoorie for a week to do some more language learning, and then after that do some training sessions for Oasis India that I had been asked to do before I came back to the UK. These things should keep me fairly busy until my registration hopefully comes through.

2 comments:

Ward said...

Sounds like India's bureaucracy is as good as the American bureaucracy. A few years ago, I could get a new passport in 6-8 weeks, now, they changed it to 10-12 weeks, but it's really 12-16 weeks, unless it is 17 or 18 weeks. 20 do I hear 20? I've got 20, do I hear 21. 21. 22--- offerred now at 22 weeks...
They are requiring passports soon to get into Canada and Mexico for the US citizens and it didn't occur to our beloved government that the number of applications would go up, hence the major delays.

honk4rv said...

Now is the time for US to out source the passport processes to India BPOs. I know I know they will talk about the security challenges but I am sure when they could bring in the medical transcription - which definitely had a legal challenge that you could not provide data on a US national to an non-US agency - they will find a loophole to give this business to India as well. Or maybe they will bring in a new law to do it.