Sunday, August 19, 2007

In Kolkata (Calcutta)

Well, I've continued to be a wayward husband, and I'm now in Kolkata! Having completed a week in Mussoorie, I have now got excellent Hindi. Therefore I thought it sensible to come to an area that speaks Bengali!! I have actually come to meet up with a friend from the UK, and visit some projects here run by Emmanuel Ministries Calcutta.


This is a photo of their school that I found on the internet. I'm hoping to be able to get a copy of another friend's photos on disc though, and then I should be able to post some other more personal photos in a few days!

It was really nice to go to Church this morning and see some faces I knew!!

1) Henry Hudson who is from my own home Church in Glasgow was placing the sax up front! He has come to work with Emmanuel Ministries for at least 6 months, and will then review his plans for the future.

2) A girl called Becky who used to go to my parents church in Edinburgh was also there! She is only in Calcutta for 4 weeks, but has been sent by Tearfund to see the Emmanuel Ministries.

3) A girl called "Jen" real name something Korean, but simplified to "Jen" for dummies! She was a student at the same college that I went to to do a few modules on working abroad. She is here long term.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey Adam and Jo.. nice to see people like u in India for voluntary work.. all the best for ur work. keep up the good work...
By the way, May i know wht kind of voluntary work u both are doing. Im a doctor here, but still struggling to get into mainstream practice... What bout u??

Adam Black said...

Shashi, I am working in an HIV/AIDS clinic, and will be in India for another few months.
I am registered with the Medical council of India, but I am not actually getting paid for my work, which is one of the conditions of registration.

I'm not sure how one would go about getting into main-stream (paid) work. I hope that helps, Adam