Sunday, December 17, 2006

Jeevan Sahara Kendra Christmas Do



Well, it is certainly Christmas party season here in Thane, which feels very surreal, as it is still 25 degrees at night, and more than that, we are not being bombarded with "X"mas consumerism constantly.

I still haven't managed to think of a Christmas present for Jo. I'm thinking that maybe I should have told her that the keyboard I got her for her birthday was actually a joint Christmas and birthday present! (do you think I could still pull that off?- her birthday was in May!!). Alternatively, we do have some painters coming to re-docorate our bedroom next week, it was at Jo's request, so could I tell her that's her Christmas present? - to put this in perspective, Jo has already told me that the bike I bought myself is actually my Christmas present!

Anyway...
...About the JSK Christmas party, it was on Saturday, and was a very successful programme. Lots of patient's gave very encouraging and uplifting testimonies, and as I looked round the room, I was struck by the number of patients who had attended our centre very sick over the past year, but that now by the grace of God are doing really well. Many of them would have been dead without the help and support of the team at JSK.

It was quite humbling to share with the people there the story from Luke 17:12-19;

As he was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy met him. They stood at a distance and called out in a loud voice, "Jesus, Master, have pity on us!" When he saw them, he said, "Go, show yourselves to the priests." And as they went, they were cleansed. One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice. He threw himself at Jesus' feet and thanked him--and he was a Samaritan. Jesus asked, "Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? Was no-one found to return and give praise to God except this foreigner?" Then he said to him, "Rise and go; your faith has made you well."

I shared that Jesus is still working to heal the sick and outcast through the hands of we his servants, and that we all still need to go back to Jesus and say "thank you" for everything he has accomplished in each of our lives.

I also read Psalm 103:2-3;
Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits- who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases.

I really felt fulfilled and content at the party. Being here in India is not just about helping others. It is about fulfilling God's good and perfect will for our lives. If we humble ourselves and do as God directs us, that will ultimately bring us more satisfaction than following our own selfish desires. Posted by Picasa

No comments: