Tuesday, September 25, 2007

India Win the Cricket Twenty20 World Cup!!







India beat their arch rivals Pakistan in the World Twenty20 final by five runs to clinch their first major trophy since 1983 last night! I watched the end of the game with one of my Indian friends, and he told me that it was kind of "like a war" that these two teams were in the final! I guess it must be something like Scotland England! Speaking of which, I have managed to purge myself pretty well of my in-bred anti-English biggotry by now; I have now been "married to the enemy" for seven years, and I'm moving south of the border of course when we return to the UK next year. I passed a sports shop last week, and I even contemplated BUYING AN ENGLAND CRICKET STRIP as a sort of immersion therapy!!


I have never been a big cricket fan. In fact I would say I find Cricket pretty boring, but then I would, wouldn't I, coming from a country where it rains pretty much constantly! This Twenty20 world cup has been great. The concept is that each side only gets 20 "overs" so they only bowl 120 balls. this means that a game can be over in 3 hours. I expect that this could even catch on in the US!, where they watch boring sports like American Football, and rounders (oops, sorry, I mean baseball!)



Umar Gul pegged India back in an impressive spell

India were up against it when their innings was restricted to 157-5, and it looked likely that Pakistan could win. then India took a few quick wickets in the middle of the Pakistani batting order, and victory looked likely to come India's way. However there was then another nail-biting twist as Pakistan took 4 sixes in 6 balls heading into their final over. They needed 6 runs from 5 balls to win, and it looked like they might have hit another 6 for a second, but the ball went straight up in the air and was easily cought, giving India victory with just 4 balls remaining.
RP Singh took three wickets as India fought back


I HAVE NEVER BEEN EXCITED BY CRICKET BEFORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I think that Twenty20 cricket could make it a much more popular sport world wide.

No comments: