Monday, March 24, 2008

Testimony of a friend

My friend emailed me this story a month or so back. I really liked it, and so I asked him if it would be OK to put it on my blog. He has agreed, and has also added the story to his own blog http://warddrennan.blogspot.com/ . He even found this picture of the actual chapel in the story.

"I didn't return to church until I was 29. In grad school near the end, I had no idea where my career was going, was under major stress and extremely tense. I had gotten dumped by my girl friend of 18 months and was feeling the pain. It was a bright sunny spring day. I was strolling through campus, full of lots of trees in full bloom, and early 20th-century limestone architecture. There was a chapel. I had another girlfriend later. She was afraid of church, and that relationship had ended quickly a few months ago. I suggested to her back then that we go in the chapel, but she refused. So now alone, on a quiet campus, it was 23 or 24 degrees C (75F), soft breeze, cumulus clouds dotting the baby blue sky. I said,

"She didn't want to, but I'm going in".

I approached it cautiously, was anyone going to see me? was it open? was anyone inside? I opened the door and stepped into complete calm, tranquil, extraordinary peace. I looked around at the charming little chapel with Oak pews and trim. I was actually in awe of how lovely it was and had forgotten about life outside. Among seats for maybe 100, I stood in solitude. There was a kneeling place next to the entrance where it was written something like "May all who pass here kneel and pray". I hemmed and hawed about it. Yes, no, should I do it? Would someone walk in? Somehow it was hard to do something like kneel and pray. I'd be giving in, somehow losing my pride. But after looking at that kneeling place and contemplating it 3 or 4 times, I did it. I kneeled and quietly prayed. I stood up free. It was a new world. Like drinking fresh mountain spring water after hiking in a desert, parched. What a fantastic change of mood. My worries were gone, the tension lifted, and I was filled with joy again.

Yeah, church is good."
Thanks Ward!

No comments: