Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Last Christmas party (I think!!??)



This was taken at the "Purnata Bhavan" Christmas programme. It was on the 22nd of December, and was a very well run and enjoyable evening. I stayed with them for tea, and then drove home at 9pm in the dark.

Purnata Bhavan is a project that I've mentioned before. It is a Christian home 2 hours from Mumbai run by "OASIS INDIA" that cares for women and children. Some of them are HIV positive, and we provide them with medical care.

Anyway, about me driving home.....
.....I drove home in the dark. The head of oasis india (John Nonibel, whose brother Andrew Nonibel used to go to my Church in Glasgow, and was in my bible study group! It's all too small a Christian world isn't it!!) was horrified about the prospect of me getting flattened by a truck on the night roads, and tried to persuade me to stay the night and drive back in the morning. When I said that I thought I'd go back that night, a bystander who I didn't know asked if I was a surgeon- "Surgeons are the Doctors who are known to take risks"!

The journey wasn't actually that bad?- Only twice on the narrow hillside twisting road did I have to leave the road for the hard shoulder for the oncoming vehicles on my side of the road overtaking round a blind corner! NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!? Seriously though, a friend of mine was recently hospitalised after a head on collision under similar circumstances. He's thankfully OK now.

Another thing that another friend had warned me about was the oncoming vehicles that appear at a glance to be motorcycles, but on closer inspection are larger vehicles with a light out "Don't go into the light"

All in all, night time driving should be avoided here!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: