Thursday, May 04, 2006

From the heart

Well, what a buzzing centre of activity our flat has been of late! Like Sauchiehall Street! Over the past week we have had Roger and Michelle Hartley (+ 2 friends who they work with) and Henry and Maggi Merriweather to stay with us. Along with Paul and Jean Dobbing who visited us in March, that makes 3 couples from Queen's Park Baptist Church (our church in Glasgow) who have stayed since we moved flats! It has been brilliant to have a bit of banter with folk from a shared culture. We've enjoyed conversing freely and being able to understand exactly what's being talked about - with a good bit of humour too which we miss. How about all our friends get together and draw up a rota of when you're coming to visit. That would be fun!

Jo continues to struggle here quite a bit of the time, missing all her friends and work back home a lot. I am busy and occupied at work, which makes things easier for me, but most of the time Jo is in the flat with the kids. Feel free to say a wee prayer for her. It would be appreciated (and for me). We are all really looking forward to coming back to the UK, it is only 6 weeks now!

My work is difficult at times. I find the language barrier extremely frustrating. If I could only converse freely in Hindi I could be a proper doctor again, and see patients by myself!! WOW! At present Sheba (the other Dr.) and I see pt.'s together, which is quicker than seeing them by herself, and she values my opinion, and listens to me. However she often doesn't translate large sections of conversation, but just paraphrases. I lose any humour and depth to the "Doctor-Patient relationship". I know this will improve, but I need to be more disciplined at studying Hindi.

Alistair is now 2 and a great wee conversationalist! He knows quite a few Hindi words and, I think, understands a lot. He spends all morning chatting with the lady who comes to help us and she only speaks Hindi. He's learning to assert his independence (interpret that how you wish!), mainly in the the area of food. He has become a picky eater at times and isn’t gaining weight. He also sucks his thumb, which is not ideal here, so I think I'll treat him for worms just in case this is why he’s not getting fatter!!!!

Freya is a delight. She is growing really fast, and has had no illness. She is quite strong and I think is more physically able than Alistair was. It will be interesting to see if she crawls/walks sooner than Alistair did. Alistair continues to be very fond of her and is quite protective if others get too close!

1 comment:

Daniel & Libby said...

Hi guys. Thanks for the news and honesty. (You really don't get as many comments as you deserve!) It's really good to read the experiences of other 'expats' (don't you just hate that word?)

Sorry no news on the 'SP' situation. Whenabouts are we talking? (Sorry everyone else!)

Give ua a Skype sometime. Our line works, but the webcam's a bit dodgy, so i'm leaving it out until we get a memory upgrade.